Charleston Cathedral of St. John the Baptist – Charleston SC
CASE STUDY 163
Evans & Schmidt Architects with
John Milner Associates
The gothic-style Cathedral of St. John the Baptist was originally constructed in the early 1800s. A fire destroyed the cathedral in 1860, and it was fully reconstructed in 1907.
In 2007, the Cathedral’s centennial year, the congregation and diocese decided to restore the deteriorated brownstone exterior facade.
Lepore removed approximately 2,500 eroded or failing stones and replaced them with new brownstone or precast units. Work included patching, dutchmen repairs, reproduction, full unit replacement, pointing, and cleaning.